barbell n net n
beam n play-ground n
chessboard n puck n
chessman n racket n
club (stick) n rings n
discus n ski jump
draughtsman n sports hall
gym n boxing gloves
javelin n trampoline (батут) n
jumping (spring) board uneven (parallel), asymmetric bars
athletic training to win the team (personal,
to follow a tournament national, world) champion-
(competition Competition sites and sports equipment, etc.) ship
to kick the ball to win by 2 (3, etc.) goals
to score a goal (20 points) (points)
to keep the score to win with the score 4 to 0
to end a game in a draw in smb.'s favour
(to draw a game) to set up (break) a record
to win Competition sites and sports equipment a prize (a cup, the record holder
victory) the world (national, European) record
I. Study Texts A and В and transcribe these words:
tobogganing, yachting, lawn-tennis, wrestling, athletics, gymnastics, callisthenics, billiards, draughts, tournament, enthusiast, soccer, rugger, court, amateur.
II. Write 15 questions about Texts A and B; b) Retell Texts A and Competition sites and sports equipment В (in indirect speech). Evaluate the reports of your fellow students according to delivery: general clarity, pronunciation, fluency, rythm, intonation.
III. Study Essential Vocabulary (II), Explanatory Notes and name: a) as many kinds of спорт as you can; b) some open-air games; c) some indoor games Competition sites and sports equipment.
IV. What do yon call a person who goes la for:
wrestling, cycling, weight-lifting, swimming, diving, running, mountaineering, boxing, skiing, racing, hunting, playing football, playing chess, playing draughts, athletics, skating, playing volley-ball, playing basket-ball, playing hockey?
V. a) Fill in prepositions if necessary:
Спорт is very popular ... Britain Competition sites and sports equipment. ... other words a lot... British people like the idea ... спорт, a lot even watch спорт, especially... the TV. However, the number who actively take part ... спорт is probably quite small. ... the whole British people prefer to be fat rather than fit
The most popular spectator спорт is football. Football is Competition sites and sports equipment played ... a Saturday afternoon ... most British towns and the fans, or supporters ... a particular team will travel... one end ... the country... the other to see their team play,
Many other sports are also played ... Britain, including golf ... which you try to knock a ball ... a hole; croquet Competition sites and sports equipment... which you try to knock a ball... some hoops; basket-ball... which you try to get a ball... a net; tennis ... which you try to hit a . ball so that your opponent cannot hit it and cricket which is played ... a ball, but is otherwise incomprehensible. As you can see, if the Competition sites and sports equipment ball had not been invented, there would have been no спорт.
Actually that's not quite true. Athletics is not played ... a ball, nor is horse-racing. Perhaps that explains why they are not so popular as football. (See "Approaches". Cambridge 1979)
B) Retell the text.
VI. Answer Competition sites and sports equipment the following questions. Do not answer in one sentence. Add something:
1. What kind of спорт doyou go in for? 2. Do you play draughts? 3. Do you attend hockey matches? 4. What football team do you support? 5. Did you ever try figure-skating? 6. Who usually likes tobogganing? ?. What do spectators do at Competition sites and sports equipment the stadiums? 8. Where are boat-races held in Moscow? 9. What is the most popular спорт in Russia? 10. Do Russain teams participate in international matches? 11. Who coaches your volley-ball team? 12. Where are the Oxford and Cambridge boat-races held? 13. What is the difference between a "спорт" and a "game Competition sites and sports equipment"? 14. What sports and games do you know? 15. What games take the first place in public interest? 16. What is the great national спорт in England?
VII. Read Text С and try to explain the phrases listed below. Do not merely translate them into Russian. Change them into a type Competition sites and sports equipment of English that is more easily understood and explain what they mean in the context of the conversation.
shout for his team; is in good form today; lost the toss; to play with (against) the wind; to kick off; come on; the game of his life; 3 minutes to go.
VIII Competition sites and sports equipment. Translate the following sentences into English:
1. Я предпочитаю легкую атлетику боксу и борьбе. 2. Я мечтаю поставить рекорд по плаванию. 3. Сейчас я не могу бежать, я не в форме. 4. Люди в мире смотрят за Олимпийскими играми. 5. Он уделяет много времени физической подготовке. 6. Я болею за футбольную команду «Спартак». 7. Наша Competition sites and sports equipment игра завершилась вничью. 8. Он охотно будет тренировать нас в фехтовании. 9. Вы занимаетесь легкой атлетикой? 10. Виндсерфинг и дельтапланеризм появились совершенно не так давно. 11. Мальчишка грезит стать хоккеистом и просит приобрести ему клюшку и шайбу. 12. Сколько человек воспримут роль в университетском шахматном чемпионате? 13. Разве вы не желали бы захватить кубок Competition sites and sports equipment в этом соревновании? 14. Кто 1-ый забил гол? 15. Вы пойдете на этот матч? 16. Стрельба из лука стала довольно пользующимся популярностью видом спорта. 17. Никто не ждал, что они выиграют со счетом 2:0. 18. Ему отлично дается фигурное катание. 19. Дамы не играют в футбол, правда? — Играют, но изредка. 20. Кто захватил первенство вашего Competition sites and sports equipment института по шашкам? — Один из наших первокурсников. 21. Не стоит вступать больше чем в два спортивных кружка сразу. 22. Я предпочитаю художественную гимнастику хоть какому другому виду спорта. 23. Мы не сможем с вами соревноваться, мы недостаточно подготовлены. 24. Вы собираетесь участвовать в соревнованиях по гребле? — Непременно. 25. Я уверен, что игра завершится вничью Competition sites and sports equipment. 25. У нас красивый зал и все способности для неплохой физической подготовки.
IX. Correct the wrong statements. Add a few more sentences to make up a dialogue:
1. There is no difference between "soccer" and "rugby". 2. Badminton can be played only indoors. 3. The goal-keeper acts as a judge Competition sites and sports equipment in football. 4. Ice hockey is popular with women. 5. A tennis ball is struck with a club. 6. Women are good football players as a rule. 7. People who play draughts are called draughtsmen. 8. We use balls when playing badminton. 9. Golf is played on ice fields. 10. Hockey is one of the most popular Competition sites and sports equipment summer games. 11. Table-tennis and lawn-tennis are one and the same game. 12. In hockey a handball and rackets are used. 13. Boxers fight with bare hands. 14. Track and field events are never included in Olympic Games. 15. You may touch the ball with your hands when playing football.
Prompts: I Competition sites and sports equipment just don't agree...; I'm not so sure...; All I know is... but at least...; How can you say such a thing! You seem to think that...; That is just the other way round. You are badly mistaken.
X. Try to describe your favourite game. Use a dictionary Competition sites and sports equipment to look up any special words. Let your partners guess which game you are describing. Speak according to the plan that is given in the example:
E x a m p l e:
1. Number of players (per team):
Two teams of eleven players each.
2. Equipment necessary Competition sites and sports equipment:a ball.
Each player wears shorts and special boots.
3. Place where played:a special field which has goal posts at both ends.
4. How to play and win: the players kick the ball to each other. They try to kick it between the goal posts of the opposing team. The Competition sites and sports equipment opposing team try to stop them, The team scoring the greatest number of "goals" wins.
5. Length of game:one hour and a half, with a break in the middle.
6. Some of the rules: only the two goal-keepers (who stand in front of the two goals) are allowed to touch Competition sites and sports equipment the ball with their hands; no one can kick or push another player.
(See "Approaches," Cambndge, 1979)
XI. a) Speak on each kind of спорт on the list below; briefly describe it as well as the qualities it requires from the sportsman, е.g. strength, endurance, quickness of reaction Competition sites and sports equipment, courage, etc. Say a few words about its advantages and attractive features:
mountaineering, rowing, yachting, hockey, tennis, basket-ball, volley-ball, chess, boxing, wrestling, fencing, artistic gymnastics, figure-skating, skiing, skating, ski-jumping, sky-diving, archery, discus throwing, wind-surfing, steeplechase, marathon.
b) Make up dialogues discussing one (or Competition sites and sports equipment several) of the sports from the list above. Use the following:
in my opinion ...; there's nothing like ...; I don't quite see what people find in ...; how can you say such a thing!; I don't know anything more exciting than ...; I see nothing exciting in ...; I Competition sites and sports equipment can't agree with you there; absolutely marvellous; I like it immensely.
XII. a) Read the text and comment on it: